Thursday, February 14, 2013

   The woodworking business has begun. It is starting in a small way with orders for my projects usually as I show my two main products to people that I come in contact with, family members, and friends so that they may tell others. Here is a picture of my workshop that I am using to produce these items. This is a place that I feel very relaxed and comfortable in. I've spent most of my working life outside in the sun, heat, cold, stormy, snowy weather. Here I can create things out of wood which I used primarily as a tool in constructing other things i.e. concrete forms, houses. Off and on over the years I  have made things out of wood, such as horse jumps, saddle racks, tack boxes, bridle racks, and some furniture with the intent of getting out of the construction business, but it never seemed to be the time or the right product. As a family we had greater needs than what those other ideas could provide for in the past. With four daughters who we wanted to provide for the opportunities that would possibly help them become what they were intended to be my wife and I ran a construction company for 30 years. We worked hard but we had lots of fun too. So now, here I am working in my shop after all those years enjoying every minute of it.
   The two things that I make are very simple. They serve a need to the people who I sell them to. Actually I hope they almost sell themselves. One lady told me that she has been looking for a table to set her laptop on for 3 or 4 years. That made me feel I was on the right track and fulfilling a need and a function. When I was in college I had a professor who would always say "form follows function". So I feel good when something no matter how big or small is practical, does what it is suppose to do, and cost efficient. That's how I feel about what I am doing now.


 
















   These two pictures are what I call "little table/stools". They can be used like a table by your chair or they could be used as a stool as I used one of them on my deer stand to sit on. The ones on the left show them to be open ready for use or as folded only 3" wide. They are also painted in Milwaukee Brewer colors as they were made for Brewer fan for tailgating. I have painted others in "Harley" colors. The ones on the right I personalized with hand painted names. They were a gift. For unpainted ones I charge $20 plus shipping. For painted or stained with varnish finish and initialed I charge $35 plus shipping. People seem to really like these they are easy to store, easy to operate and use.
I will make a video soon to show how they work.


No comments:

Post a Comment